When it comes to buying organic food, it’s a jungle out there!
So many brands are falsely-packaged and -marketed to look like impeccably wholesome, natural foods but instead, they are actually produced by massive agrotech corporations like PepsiCo and they invariably contain Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs).
It is estimated that up to 30% of Whole Foods’ 2011 yearly gross sales, which exceeded $10 billion was derived from the sale of GMOs.
Organic Spies conducted an undercover hidden camera sting of several Whole Food markets and uncovered the scale and the means of their sale of unlabeled GMO foods.
Their film shows why Whole Foods, the largest organic chain in the grocery business has donated no money to support Proposition 37, the California Ballot initiative to label genetically engineered foods, the results of which will inevitably impact the regulation of GMOs in all US States: They’ve found that Whole Foods has sold unlabeled GMOs created by Monsanto for over a decade.
This hard-hitting investigation pulls no punches in naming the names of the three top corporate chiefs of Whole Foods, John Mackey, Co-Founder & Co-CEO, Walter Robb Co-CEO and Margaret Wittenberg VP Global Communications & Quality Standards; each of whom are multi-millionaires and each apparently unmotivated to part with one thin dime of their sizable personal fortunes — which were founded on the principle of organic food — to contribute to the campaign to pass Proposition 37 – in order to avoid offending their agrotech buddies.
Nevertheless, these natural food leaders could single-handedly eradicate GMOs from the health food industry – and potentially from the US – if they were to simply do the following:
1) Collect legally-binding affidavits from all of their non-organic suppliers, to see if they are using any GMO seeds or ingredients.
2) Educate and train their employees about what products may contain GMOs and have them warn customers which GMO-tainted products to avoid.
3) Stop training employees to say that Whole Foods does not sell any GMOs, as this is a flat-out lie.
4) Educate customers about the dangers of genetically engineered foods and chemicals.
In addition, Organic Spies’ manifesto says:
– “We demand the labeling of GMO foods because we can’t even trust the products sold at a nationally-certified organic grocer like Whole Foods.”
– “This is our most desperate hour. The future of humanity will be controlled by Monsanto”
– “Now is the chance for Whole Foods to stop selling GMO foods, that financially benefits Monsanto.”
– “Now is the Chance for Whole Foods and the organic food brands to show that they care about the future of humanity.”
– “Donate to Proposition 37 – no matter how much – the world is watching us!” //www.carighttoknow.org/
– “October 16 is World Food Day – Return GMO foods you may have bought at Whole Foods and demand that they label them.”